Sullivan is an independent brand engagement firm based in New York. We build brands and connect them to their audiences at key moments in the customer experience through integrated marketing programs and digital experiences. Since 1990, we’ve helped clients—mostly blue-chip organizations offering complex products and services—like financial services, technology, higher education, industrials and not-for-profit—draw on their brand to differentiate their offering, attract more customers and expand existing relationships. We provide a variety of brand strategy, brand expression, customer experience, and digital services to a range of well-known clients that include American Express, JPMorgan, Crown Castle, and Duke University.
We operate in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment made up of people who have unique perspectives and talents. What those who excel here have in common are: they are electrified by being part of a team that generates standout work that is both provocative & pragmatic; they are proactive and resourceful, and do what it takes to fuel that process from start to finish; and they take tremendous pride in what they do.
Working at Sullivan requires large doses of passion, discipline, hard work, and intelligence. In return, we’ll provide an environment where committed employees with great ideas can thrive.
The Managing Director, Strategy is an integral partner to their clients, proactively building and expanding client relationships, and, in conjunction with their Creative Director overseeing a multi-disciplinary team to work on client engagements. The MD sets the strategic direction for the client, offers insight and guidance, and participates in creative concept development and implementation of all digital and print communications. They execute account planning & staffing, and oversees the Associate Director and/or Strategist leading the day-to-day activities. As a member of the Sullivan management team, the Managing Director is expected to participate in setting and actively advancing the overall strategy of the firm.
- Manage and grow client engagements, creating long-standing relationships with senior client executives at the SVP and VP levels while equally building effective working relationships with key direct reports in the marketing organization and elsewhere.
- Partner with clients, providing thought leadership and ensuring that the Firm over-delivers on client expectations and is successful in transforming the sales and marketing process. Serve as the quality czar for all work.
- Recruit, develop, and provide overall leadership to a strong team of Strategy Directors and Strategists, serving as a dynamic and inspirational leader.
- Build annual account plans, meeting specific performance targets.
This position is ideally suited to the individual seeking fundamental and substantial real world impact on major marketing initiatives for leading for profit and non-profit organizations. This is an outstanding opportunity for an accomplished marketer with strong thought leadership skills and entrepreneurial drive. It provides:
- The ability to own a P&L
- The platform provided by Sullivan’s track record and access to the firm’s proprietary methodologies
- The opportunity to join a firm that is challenging conventional wisdom and fundamentally changing how sales and marketing is performed across major corporations
- A role which combines account planning and account management responsibilities
Ideal Candidate Profile
- A senior marketing professional who brings a combination of deep industry and functional marketing knowledge around branding, communications, and/or digital strategy and implementation. They should be a “roll up the sleeves” person who wants to be in an entrepreneurial environment. Likely comes from the senior ranks of a top tier branding or digital agency, blue chip advertising agency, or client organization.
- Solid strategic thinking and analytical skills to help set clients’ marketing agendas by assessing their situations, identifying and filling information gaps, evaluating implications and advising clients.
- Strong client development and relationship management skills with an ability to command the respect of the SVP/VP Marketing in Fortune 500 size clients while also working effectively with their deputies at the Director/Manager level.
- A true passion and appreciation for the power of creative and its ability to transform how a major company markets its products/services, and a solid understanding of and practical experience in communications development, from the strategic to the tactical including the ability to articulate creative direction and evaluate creative ideas as well as the quality of execution.
- Strong entrepreneurial drive as demonstrated by their track record as a successful developer of business, and an ability to operate in a fast-paced, ever-changing, and competitive marketplace with minimal structure.
- A team player with a solid understanding of the total business process and the need for teamwork internally and externally, and an ability to attract, develop and manage a team of strong marketers.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- An undergraduate degree in business, marketing, communications or the arts from a top tier school.